Friday, May 30, 2008

I gotta get out of Oklahoma...

Seriously. This place is so sprawled out that you need a car to get around here. Heaven forbid you can't drive. There's no sidewalks, the public transportation system sucks. It only runs until 7pm at nights and doesn't run on Sundays? Huh? WTF? What is wrong with these people?

There's only like two malls that I seen. One's a mainly business center and the other one is like halfway across the state.

Who do I have to smack around here to get them to do something about this? And everyone is complaining about the gas prices.

THEN WHY DON'T YOU GET OFF YOUR ASSES AND ASK YOUR ELECTED OFFICIALS TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT?

But in the meanwhile, I'm trying to get some money together so I can move out of this place. New Mexico sounds nice. Albuquerque, more precisely. The main issue is finding a place and making sure I can afford it. *crosses fingers*

I read that Oklahoma is one of the worst places in America to live. Gee, I wonder why?

Don't get me wrong, I've got my own apartment, all my bills are getting paid. (well, maybe the credit card isn't getting all my love, but, hey, who's credit card is? lol.)

But this place is basically a hole.

I miss Philly. It might have been a dump at times, but at least everything was convenient. Buses ran 24/7. You didn't have to go halfway around the world to do something.

But what would these OK city planners thinking?

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

But otherwise, I'm ok, thanks for asking...

Later!

2 comments:

ViperInfidel said...

I live in Albuquerque. Allow me to tell you how things are here. BTW, this is ViperInfidel, from GameFAQs.

Albuquerque's transit system is better than the one you described, but not by much. Only about 10 routes run on Sundays. During the week most of the routes effectively shut down by 9:00 p.m. That is better than what you seem to have, but what it effectively does is disallow anyone who works very early or very late from using the bus.

We have three malls in the area: Winrock, Coronado, and Cottonwood. Winrock is going through a transition and is shut down for now. Coronado is the more popular mall but is in a bad part of town. Cottonwood Mall is located on the very far NW part of town. Very nice place, really. But distant.

Gas prices are a bit lower here than in other parts of the country, but the reason is that the oil companies stock lower octane fuel (unleaded is 86 octane here) because of the high altitude (we are at 5,000 feet).

Housing prices here aren't too bad if you know where to look. There are two websites I shall direct you to: http://www.forrent.com and http://www.apartmentguide.com. You also might try going to your local library and looking through the Sunday Albuquerque Journal classifieds if your library stocks it.

New Mexico is often smeared by locals as one of the worst places to live, though. The biggest problem with this place is the very low median income. Income is so low that taxes can't be raised to build new things (or in some cases fix things either). There are whole small towns in New Mexico where everyone lives on food stamps. Tourism is a big hit here, but there isn't as much industry. Nothing to build much off of.

Here's an example of the low income/tax base: The city of Albuquerque put up some red light cameras a while back. They were said to be a crime prevention tool. But the city made $5 million from it in the first two years alone.

Yes, $5 million. That's it. When I lived in Oregon taxpayers footed a $262 million construction cost to build the Rose Garden for the Trailblazers to play in. No one batted an eyelash at $262 million in Portland.

But $5 million over not one TWO years down here? Wow. The small towns immediately stuck their hands out and several state legislators wrote (and eventually passed) laws requiring Albuquerque to fork over all the money made from the red light cameras. Welfare mentality. Even Bill Richardson fell for it and signed it, which surprised me.

My suggestion if you move here: Plan a way OUT. My way out is getting a degree, which from the local community college (CNM, stands for Central New Mexico Community College) is quite cheap: only $42.00 per credit hour, which for three classes (what I take per term) works out to about $400 per term (terms last about three months on average). Not too bad, really.

One other thing about Albuquerque: Outside here, there is very little to be found. The city has just under 500,000 people. The metro area as a whole has about 800,000 people. But the entire state? Only 2 million. We reached the 2 million mark sometime in early 2007, as I recall.

To put that in perspective, imagine: The Dallas/Fort Worth metro area has almost 6 million people, three more times than our entire state!

avideogameplayer said...

Well, Viper, thanks for the info. I already got a copy of the Apartment Guide off the site. You can buy a copy of whatever state you want for $5. Cool deal, huh? And forrent.com has basically the same info so I didn't bother.

The only reason I was thinking Albuquerque was a friend of mine lived there for a awhile and she loved it there.

Long story short, we both wanted to go there, but she had a monkey on her back with her old apartment and was afraid of the reprecussions.

So we choose OK. We moved and someone bailed...so I'm kinda in 'exile' here.

I would love to move back to Philly, but the economic realities won't let me. (Apartments being too high, jacked up utility bills, etc.)

But Seattle sounds too expensive. But I will look into it.

Thanks, Viper, see around Hellhole!

Blast from the posting past

Final Fantasy RPG